The Welcome Dinner Project
About The Organisation
The Welcome Dinner Project enables recently arrived people (such as refugees, asylum seekers, migrants and international students) and established Australians to meet over a shared meal at a participant’s residence. These pot-luck style dinners create a platform for meaningful connection, sparking friendships between people of diverse cultures and encouraging local collaborative endeavours. After starting in Sydney in 2013 a grass-roots Welcome Dinner Project movement has emerged and over 500 Welcome Dinners have now been held in all capital and several regional cities in Australia.
We are currently expanding our board and seeking to appoint several new general board members. Because we are a small organisation still gathering its resources, we are a hands-on board involved with strategy and some operational oversight, in addition to governance. We are looking for people who have the time to contribute at this exciting stage in the organisation’s development where we are embarking on a “rejuvenation phase” to build the robustness and long term sustainability and scalability of this much-needed project.
General Board members will assist in:
- Setting the strategic direction of the organisation ;
- Monitoring the organisational performance including financial and legal compliance; and
- Ensuring appropriate stakeholder engagement and good governance.
We are looking for people with backgrounds, skills and experience in project management, public relations, governance, legal, human resources, strategic planning, establishing partnerships and fundraising. We are also hoping to bring in expertise relating to emergent and generative approaches, group facilitation, asset-based community development, social innovation, social impact, community engagement and collaborative processes.
The successful candidates should have the following attributes:
- Good business acumen
- Great communication skills
- Exhibit behaviour to the highest ethical standards in the best interest of the organisation
- Passion for giving back to the community as a volunteer
- Understanding of the variety of issues being faced by newly arrived people to Australia
- Some familiarity with working within culturally and linguistically diverse communities
As an operational Board bi-monthly meetings are held, sometimes held with more frequency. With existing Board members in Sydney, Canberra and Perth the meetings are attended via teleconference. The duration of each Board meeting is approximately 1.5 hours. Other time outside of Board meetings is also required. This varies according to the level of activity but is usually around 1 hr per week up to as much as 4 hours during busy times.
- As per the qualifications and attributes listed above
- Experience in a similar board role would be advantageous
- Ability to commit the time needed
- Strategic connections/networks and ability to actively promote the vision and purpose of the Welcome Dinner Project with a view to fundraising would be highly desirable but not essential
How To Apply
If you are interested in being considered for a position on our Board, please submit your nomination including the following details (no more than 500 words):
*name and contact details;
*current position and employer;
*brief summary of your career background; and
*why you would like to be on the Board and what you expect to contribute.
Please forward your nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than COB Friday 25th October 2019.