Welcome Dinner Project Victoria – Area Coordinator
Welcome Dinner Project Victoria
12 month initial commitment
Minimum 12 hours per month (excluding dinner attendance)
Work from home, or WDP’s co-working space in Carlton
The Welcome Dinner Project is a non-profit organisation which has been connecting newly arrived people with established Australians over pot-luck dinners in local homes since 2013. The organisation’s purpose is to enable people of all cultural backgrounds to share their food and their stories in a space of love, respect and listening so they feel valued, discover their connection to the broader community and are animated to take action from that space.
The Welcome Dinner Project Victoria is looking for people who are passionate about diversity and connection within their community to coordinate Welcome Dinners in their local area and support the growth of the organisation. To do this, the Area Coordinator will work alongside other WDP volunteers (coordinators and facilitators) in their local area as part of a hub, and also connect with other hubs as part of the state team. The Area Coordinator supports and is supported by the hub, and, when necessary, reports to the Victorian State Co-Coordinators. The State Co-Coordinators directly support hubs.
Online induction training is required of all Area Coordinators – equivalent to 14 hours contact time – and is provided over a three month period. WDP Victoria also holds professional development opportunities quarterly in targeted skill areas, and an annual retreat which builds the team for the year ahead and sets strategic goals. Attendance at these events is highly encouraged. You will also be required to hold a current Victorian Police Check.
Summary of role:
- Take lead in coordinating at least two home dinners and one community dinner per year, including all dinner administration, communication with key community partners / hosts, pre and post media promotions, facilitator pre, during and post dinner briefings, and participant liaison.
- Work with other hub members to develop and nurture partnerships with key agencies, council, community groups and institutions to raise funds to deliver community dinners and to reach both established Australians and newly arrived people in the community.
- Be involved in recruiting, selecting, training and supporting new volunteer facilitators in your hub to stay engaged in the hub activities: dinners; promotional events; planning meetings
- Contribute to evaluation and reporting the outputs, outcomes and impact of WDP’s work
- Attend hub meetings as scheduled (approximately one face to face meeting a quarter, and additional online meetings as needed)
- Attend relevant coordinator training and ongoing professional development,
- Contribute to the strategic direction of WDP Victoria at the annual WDP Victoria Retreat or by proxy
Essential Skills and Attributes:
- You believe in WDP’s purpose and values
- You have a passion for creating a culture of welcome in Australia
- You really like working with people and are good at bringing out the best in others so that they can contribute their gifts and skills
- You have experience working in collaboration with diverse and changing teams and with a range of institutional partners
- You are friendly, self-aware, emotionally intelligent and culturally competent
- You are willing to learn and give and receive feedback; contributing to our culture of growth
- You understanding issues being faced by newly arrived people to Australia with an ability to communicate effectively with culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
- You are self-motivated, and show initiative and attention to detail
- You have experience with project management, including excellent time management skills and can prioritise and deliver on deadlines
- You are tech-savvy … we do a lot of digital work, particularly with google apps (google sheets, docs) and database management
- You have familiarity with and links into your local community
Desirable Skills and Attributes:
- You have event management experience
- You have team management experience
- You have access to your own vehicle